Amsterdam is the capital of the Netherlands and one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe. The city has a rich history, beautiful architecture, and vibrant culture. Amsterdam is an ideal vacation spot for everyone. If you are planning a trip to Amsterdam, then here are some best things to do in Amsterdam:
City Tours in the Netherlands
If you’re thinking about visiting Amsterdam, the city is a perfect way to get an overview of what this city has to offer. The Netherlands is a small country, so even if you only have 24 hours in Amsterdam (or less), there are many interesting places to visit. You can choose either a standard tour or one that’s more customized to your interests:
- A standard city tour will take you on a route that shows off the main attractions and historical sites around town. If you want something different, consider taking one of these tours:
- A canal cruise This gives visitors a chance to see all four sides of Central Station, including its famous clock tower. It also offers great views of popular places like Leidseplein square and Dam Square as well as major landmarks like NEMO Science Museum and Magere Brug bridge over River Amstel. An art history tour For those who want more insight into their surroundings than just an overview of their general information about each point of interest (POI).
Windmills of Zaandam
If you’re looking for something to do in Amsterdam that’s a little bit out of the ordinary, the windmills of Zaandam are a great option. Located about 20 minutes outside of the city center, you’ll see dozens of windmills that have been converted into museums shops, and restaurants. You can get guided tours or just wander around on your own as long as you don’t mind climbing some stairs!
There are also several other places in Amsterdam where you can see windmills including De Gooyer (which has an amazing view), Molen de, Roos, and Molen de Valk.
Amsterdam Light Festival
The Amsterdam Light Festival is a festival of light music and ideas. The annual event held in the Dutch city of Amsterdam attracts more than one million visitors every two years and this year will take place from February 9th to March 11th, 2019.
The festival began back in 2007 when the idea was born that during winter there should be a festival of lights on the water just like the fireworks on play on New Year’s Eve. The first edition was organized by contemporary dance company Nederlands Dans Theater (NDT) with support from local authorities, who contributed financially as well as provided space for events. Since then it has grown into one of Europe’s most successful festivals for contemporary art with many international artists participating each year including some famous names such as Vangelis (tracks used at this year’s event).
Best Museums in Amsterdam
Amsterdam is a city full of culture. In addition to being one of the most fascinating cities in Europe, Amsterdam has many museums that will teach you about its history art and architecture. You can visit these museums without spending any money because they are all free! They are open every day from 10:00 to 17:00, except on Mondays. The best part? They are located right in the center of town so it’s easy to walk everywhere!
Artis Royal Zoo
- Artis Royal Zoo is a zoo in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. The zoo was opened in 1838 and is one of the oldest zoos in the world.
- It is situated on a hill at the southern edge of Amsterdam’s city center, within the borough of Amsterdam South. With over 40,000 animals (nearly 1500 species), it covers an area of 20 hectares (49 acres) and hosts 530 different types of birds, making it one of Europe’s most biodiverse zoos.
Boat Trip through the Canals
A boat trip is one of the best ways to see Amsterdam. The water is a different place, and it will give you a different perspective on the city. You can’t help but notice things when you’re riding along the canal and you’ll get some great photos too!
Anne Frank House
The Anne Frank House is a museum in Amsterdam, Netherlands. It was once the hiding place of Anne Frank and her family during World War II, but now it’s a museum that tells the story of their lives before they were captured by Nazis in 1944.
The museum is located in the heart of Amsterdam, so it’s easy to get to from pretty much everywhere else in the city. And don’t forget to purchase your tickets online beforehand it will save you time waiting in line!
Vondelpark is a public urban park of 47 hectares in Amsterdam, Netherlands. It is the largest park in Amsterdam and one of the largest in the Netherlands.
Located west of the city center, it was named after Joost van den Vondel (1587–1679), a Dutch writer who lived near the present-day park from 1638 to 1659.
The Vondelpark lies within two different municipalities: The northern tip lies within the borough of Amsterdam-Zuid, while most of its western part lies within Amsterdam-West. The southern edge of De Pijp and Oud-West, are two neighborhoods with many new apartment buildings from around 1900 until today. In addition to these residential areas, there are some office buildings like Hotel Okura (1912) and Gallery Krinzinger Gallery Krinzinger (1975).
The flower market is a must for anyone visiting Amsterdam in the spring or summer months. Held in Vondelpark on Sunday mornings, it draws crowds of people who come to buy fresh flowers for the home or festive bouquets for the weekend. If you’re looking for something more permanent, you can also purchase plants from vendors at this event.
The best time to visit the flower market is early morning before noon when there aren’t as many crowds around and prices are lower (and vendors haven’t sold out yet). If you plan on staying longer than two hours which is highly recommended if possible you’ll be able to find your favorite blooms among thousands of colorful flowers at this bustling event!
Heineken Experience Tours near Amsterdam, Netherlands
If you are interested in the history of beer and want to learn more about the process of making it, then Heineken Experience Tours is a great place for you. This museum is located in Amsterdam, the Netherlands where it offers guided tours through the brewery and beer tasting. The entrance fee is €19 per person (for English-speaking visitors), which includes one free beer.
The tour lasts about 45 minutes and starts with a video about how Heineken has evolved before taking you into a museum where you can see how beer was made in ancient times up until today’s modern methods. You will also be able to taste some different kinds of beers while learning all about them!
- Amsterdam Light Festival.
- The best museums in Amsterdam.
- Artist Royal Zoo, a zoo located in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, on the Museumplein in the “Museumkwartier” area of Amsterdam-Zuid (South). It is one of the oldest zoos in the world and one of its most popular tourist attractions.
- Boat trip through canals: When I was visiting Amsterdam I took a boat ride through their canals and it was amazing! They have a canal boat tour that takes you around all over town and takes about 1 hour 15 minutes depending on where you are going. The price ranges from 15 euros – 35 euros per person depending on what boat you take and how long your tour is as well as if dinner or drinks are included with your ticket purchase. you must make reservations ahead of time before heading out because this activity sells out quickly because so many people enjoy doing it every year* This excursion was very fun for me especially since this was my first time riding on one 🙂 If possible bring along some waterproof shoes just in case the weather gets wetter than expected during your trip!
If you want to spend a day in Amsterdam, we recommend that you visit the city’s museums and art galleries. The Netherlands has some of the most beautiful museums in Europe, including the Rijksmuseum. In addition, there are many places in Amsterdam where you can learn about Dutch history through interactive exhibits and displays; one such place is Heineken Experience (which also offers tours). This destination makes an ideal spot for those who want an educational experience while visiting this beautiful country.